Thursday, September 23, 2010

The National Curse on the Two Words, "White Male"

I hired a well-respected public relations firm to promote my book for a three month period to the traditional media – print, radio and television. After a substantial mailing of the book with a press release and personal phone call follow-ups, there was zero response. Oops, I forgot to mention two brief radio interviews. My media and other colleagues told me that this lack of response with this type of book was unheard of and was due to the curse that our country has put on the words “white male” and the fear of repercussions if the curse is challenged.

As I said before, cultural forces for over a half-century have stamped and characterized these two words as racist and misogynistic. This curse has scared to death the media, politicians and practically everybody else. If, instead, the title were changed to Asian, Black, Hispanic or Cherokee Indian males or females, the media response would have been healthy.

Let me tell you about a few anecdotal events that happened not only to me, but to others who have read the book.

There is a local coffee shop where I generally go to do some thinking and writing. The proprietor, a very nice guy, asked me if he could place the book on the shelf in his shop where it could be purchased. And I agreed. After only a few days a white, well-dressed male saw the book on the shelf and told him that he was offended by the title and that it was too risky for his business to sell a book with the “cursed” words and that he should remove it from the shelves because of the risk of losing customers. The proprietor, fearful of these potential consequences, promptly removed the book.

I and a few lady and men friends showed the cover of the book to a number of white females and males. The substance of the male responses was unanimous. They all warned that the title of the book would get me into trouble. None showed any interest in rallying around the flag both to the message and promotion of the book. Also, none had interest in reading it.

Now get this: after women viewed the cover, the majority agreed with the message, were emotionally positive about it and most of them purchased the book.

I was invited to make a presentation about my book to a local chapter of a large national organization. My message hit home. The folks loved it but, however, when I asked them to spread the message to their national constituents, they feared it would be too risky and would be labeled as racist. Interestingly enough, they weren’t concerned about accusations of misogyny.

The second in charge of another group invited me to speak at meeting of its members. The date was set. But when the numero uno of the group read the title of the book, he canceled my talk for fear of being labeled as racist.

I’ve faced the curse a number of other times. What is alarming is the fear factor. One way to lift the curse is for people to begin using these words in normal conversation as we use other words. The question is who will step to the plate.

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Defelice,

    After reading this post, I immediately related it to my current college situation. I successfully made it through the college process, but I realized some things about how the colleges proceeded to pick the correct candidates. Among grade point, SAT, or class difficulty, I think the most powerful section of the application can be found under the heritage and background section. Most colleges aim is to "diversify" the student population and give each candidate a fair chance for admission, regardless of race or ethnicity. I really think this works in reverse. In doing this, the minorities are given higher priority, than say a white male. Certainly this is not to say they don't deserve admission, but I question the validity of this section on any college application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Josh on this. If you look at the actual ratios of the different heritages, society has actually turned in favor of blacks--Not so much with any other group. But, blacks also have a lot more groups and a lot more political lobbyists to "promote" themselves.
    Wasn't it Jesse Jackson who opposed affirmative action in a city somewhere because of the hispanic population. The race card is wild in the political poker game. The stakes are our freedoms.

    ReplyDelete